Running A Small Businesses by Tony Jacowski
Running small business is no small feat, considering that one has to handle so many daunting tasks. From getting the business up and running, to planning, financing, marketing, managing employees and accounting, it adds up to a huge task. To top it all off, all of the responsibility falls on squarely on the lap of the small business owner.
Running a Small Business Above all else, we need to answer two things: 1) Is running a small business for me and 2) why start my own business?
IS RUNNING A SMALL BUSINESS FOR ME?
Running a business is not for everybody, as it takes a special kind of character. Additionally, you can't totally risk-proof your business, but you can improve through sound planning. Start by asking yourself following questions:
1. Are you a self-starter or do you need someone push you into action? If you can't plan, organize and follow up by yourself you probably won't make a good small business owner.
2. Are you a good decision-maker? You will need to make a lot of critical decisions quickly. You can't depend on someone else in this area.
3. How good are your interpersonal skills? Since you probably can't afford the luxury of a specialist (at least in the beginning), you will need to do all the talking with your customers and vendors and you will have to get along with them. Remember that your prime concern is the well-being of your business and you have to be able to deal with multiple personality types with the patience of a diplomat. Can you realistically do this?
4. Can you justify your business plan? If you can't be pragmatic in assessing your plans and other business situations, you will be doing an injustice to your business. Being unbiased is crucial, even with yourself.
5. Can you handle extreme pressures? Pressures can potentially demotivate you to the point of quitting, if you don't have the personality to handle them well. Remember that you will probably need to work around the clock, especially at the peak times for your business. Can you do this without being frustrated?
WHY START MY OWN BUSINESS?